Thursday, May 1, 2008

Reader, I married him. (Eomer, that is.)

I just finished Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and am now prepared to issue a formal apology to the Graceling copyeditor for my comma and semi-colon use. While reading Bronte I suddenly realized that my punctuation teachers in life were the Bronte sisters, Jane Austen, Edith Wharton, Henry James, Charles Dickens, George Eliot, E.M. Forster, and Theodore Dreiser, to name a few. In other words, people from long ago whose writing styles (and bodies) are now dead.

No wonder, dear copyeditor, that you and I drove each other crazy last fall!

As I revise Fire, I'm trying to do better.

But! Keep your dastardly red pencil sharp, because I still love commas way more than other people do, and though my entire team of critics is wearing me down, I still have plenty of fight left. Like Aragorn, Gandalf, Arwen, and most of all, my husband Eomer, I am the protector of small, misplaced creatures. (Commas. Not hobbits.)

In other news, last week the Italian publisher De Agostini gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. Thank you to my mother's motherland. Viva Italia!

P.S. If you know from whence I stole the title of this post, \o/! We are reading companions. And perhaps you have trouble with your punctuation, too?

7 comments:

Sarah Prineas said...

Yeah for the Italians!! Congratulations!

Commas and I are not friends.

kristin cashore said...

Hey, thanks for commenting, Sarah! :o)

Commas are temperamental and confusing and never entirely sure where they belong. Oh wait, that's me.

All That I Read said...

Oh, how I love the Bronte sisters. Isn't Tenant of Wildfell Hall marvelous?

For another clever instance of "Reader, I married him," check out The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (on the very slim change that you don't already ZOMG LOVE that book.

kristin cashore said...

Snowy Owlet-- I really loved Wildfell Hall! have you read her other novel (I can't remember the name-- Agnes Grey?) and if so, should I read that one too?

The Fforde book has been on my list for ages. I'm going to have to bump it to the top.

All That I Read said...

Agnes Grey is definitely worth reading. It's so short that it's an excellent book to gulp up over the course of a weekend (or a long, lazy day).

kristin cashore said...

I've taken Agnes Grey out from the library-- thanks for the rec :o)

kristin cashore said...

P.S. Snowy Owlet-- I read Agnes Grey-- loved it! I have a rec for you: have you ever read Sigrid Undset's Kristin Lavransdatter? Long and beautiful. You definitely want the version translated by Tiina Nunnally, though, not the other version translated by two guys whose names I can't remember in the 1920s.